Monday, December 5, 2011

"Good to Great" - merging Jim Collins's concepts into my writing

A month ago, I read a book by Jim Collins called Good to Great.  In it, he talks about how certain companies defy the odds over a number of years and become truly great, even in the midst of economic turmoil.  He compares the wide spectrum of publicly-traded companies (because their financial records and press releases are open) and whittles the list down until he emerges with a list of companies that he calls "great."  He compares them to similar companies within the same timeframe, and lists why one company failed and the other became successful.

Over the next few blogs, I'll explore some of his concepts and merge them with my writing career.  Even though he picks large companies, like Walgreens and Wells Fargo, as the truly great companies in terms of stock prices/profits, I'm going to turn back the dial and show how the concepts can be applied to one's own individual life/career.  I believe they can be used on an individual level, and lead you to a better life, to a more successful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment