Monday, December 12, 2011

Read me a story, Daddy

One of the best ways I know of to help shape your story in the editing stage is by reading it out loud.

But I take it to the next level and I also record it.

Hearing your story out loud is electrifying, and if you find yourself stumbling over some parts, changes are someone else will too.

Don't like to read your story out loud or if you have a speech disability that affects this?  No problem.  Give it to someone else to read out loud to you.  Or record them reading it (if I could get Jim Dale--the voice magician behind the Harry Potter audiobooks--to do mine, that would be a dream come true).

This will even help with your dialogue, to see if it even sounds realistic.

I do this at the editing stage, as I mentioned before.  This is particularly useful right near the end when I think it's about as perfect as I can get it.  This would be more for micro-level editing instead of macro-level.  Then again, I've caught a few macro-level revisions needed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment