Monday, February 6, 2012

Don't fly under the radar

Don't fly under the radar . . . unless you're a fighter pilot in the enemy territory.  If you are, then by all means don't listen to me.

If you want to be successful, you need to be noticed.

This can be done in a variety of ways.

Seth Godin, in his book Purple Cow said that if you want to be noticed, you need to be a purple cow.  Huh?  Imagine you're out for a Sunday drive and you come upon a field of cows.  How many do you notice it?  Hardly any.  Make one of the cows purple.  You stop.

"Wow, look at that purple cow!"

It gets noticed.

The first thing you need to be is remarkable and excel at what you do.  Do the absolute best, and continually improve.  Improve your skills by learning as much as you can about the industry you want to be in, the industry you have a passion for.  Even pick the brains (not literally, unless you're a zombie - and if you are, then I'm not sure why you're reading this blog) of those you deem as successful.

At my full time job, I was in sales but always wanted to be promoted to the supervisory and management level.  For years, I flew under the radar, I wasn't noticed, and you know what happened?  I didn't get any promotions.  Then, I spend a few years reading everything I could about success, and even shared my sales goals with my current supervisor.  Before too long, guess what?  I got the promotion.

What are you doing today to get yourself noticed?

I know I've mentioned blogs and podcasts that I listen to and read, but I need to add one more: Seth Godin.  He is a marketing genius, and his website is a must read, along with ALL of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment