Tuesday, June 12, 2012

As a husband and father of three, I still have time to write

Like many of you out there, I am busy.  I am a husband and a father of three.

When do I have the time to write?

Like the previous post, I carve out small blocks of time everyday to spend on the craft of writing.  Typically, I'm up 1-2 hours before the kids do, and once they're in bed I spend another 1-2 hours.  Also, during the week at my full-time job, I spend both 15-minute breaks and 30-minute lunch writing.  So, given that, most days I spend 3-5 hours writing.

I've made a commitment to wake up earlier than anyone else.  Also, my children know that they have to get to bed at a certain time because Dad has work to do in his little office downstairs.  Now, once they're in bed, I do help my wife with washing dishes and washing/drying clothes and other cleaning tasks, and then she knows I'm off to go write.

Seems simple when I write it down like this, but trust me, it's difficult.  There always seems to be something to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, but the longer I keep working, the more I can get done.

What tips can you share on how you accomplish time management with an active family life?

No comments:

Post a Comment