Friday, June 1, 2012

Happenings In The Outhouse 01-June-2012 / Swordplay against procrastination

I'm probably like most people who battle the war against procrastination.  It's an ugly beast I work hard to defeat day-in and day-out.  This past weekend--a long weekend with the Memorial Day holiday thrown in for good measure--the only writing I accomplished were my blogs.

I did start reading two nonfiction books, however: the first is titled Willow in a Storm: A Memoir by James and Kathleen Taylor.  This book was published by Scarletta Press, and the publisher, Ian Graham Leask, actually visited our little library 2 years ago.  Oddly enough, the book resulted from a bank robbery that occurred in 1955 in a town about 20 miles from where I live, in Thief River Falls, MN.  It's a very good book, chronicling the life of Mr. Taylor and how he turned to a life of crime late in life.  Some chapters are a bit long and detailed but there are plenty of injustices done to Taylor that make you just shake your head at our justice system.  The second book is The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.  This one deals with those inner demons that us artists face everyday--he calls it Resistance.  Procrastination is my Resistance.

And it is one I fight with all the time--sometimes I win, sometimes the demons win.

Chapters 25 is on its final leg of editing, as well as the short chapters 26-27.  By next week, these three will be done.

Wednesday night was our writers' group meeting.  Even though there were only two of us, the conversation was very inspiring.  I read chapters 12-13 of Beholder's Eye.  Evelyn read one of her pieces she is inquiring about publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment