Monday, July 23, 2012

The #1 best advice for writers

It's no secret that I listen to a lot of podcasts about writing.  During many of the Q and A sessions, I try to imagine myself being asked these questions and how would I answer them--okay, I'm not saying that I'm better than the podcasters (Lord no!) but I like to compare my answers with theirs.  Most of the time, my answer seems to be very simple.

Want to know what it is?

Here you go:

Read a lot
Write a lot

That's it.  So many times, I think if the people asking the questions would do these two simple things, many of those would be answered.  They want to complicate it and make it seem more mysterious than what it really is.

Many of our problems with writing can be solved this way: read a lot; write a lot.

The second line (write a lot) however must have one more element to drive you forward.  It's passion.  I know there is a lot of talk lately about being passionate about this or that, but it's true.  If you truly loved writing--and I mean so much so that you deeply yearn to sit down at your computer or tablet or whatever you use to write on--you'll find a way to make it happen.

What are you waiting for?  Do a little more of the latter than the former, but by God do both.  Many of the answers are right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment