Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What I listen to - Mur Lafferty's I Should Be Writing

If you were to type in top ten fiction writing podcasts, you'll more than likely find a podcast titled I Should Be Writing ranked as one of the top ones.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

In the beginning of her podcasts, Mur Lafferty tells everyone it's geared towards "wanna-be fiction writers."  Especially those who write sci-fi, horror, or fantasy (and all of the other machinations in between), but even if you don't, her encouragement is enlightening.

Mur has been podcasting for over seven years, and it's very interesting to hear her weekly stories of what she's working on, what she's reading, industry trends, and feedback on listener questions.  Since she doesn't have a co-host, this podcast can get very personal as she sounds like she is speaking right to you, sharing her past experiences and struggles with writing and getting published--she's been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and encourages all to fight through it in their own writing.

Mur has also interviewed many of the greats in the sci-fi/fantasy publishing world, from John Scalzi to Lou Anders and Peter V. Brett to Scott Sigler.

I wish I had discovered I Should Be Writing years ago, but I only did late last year when I was searching around for fiction writing podcasts--yes, I Googled top fiction writing podcasts and Mur's was #1 on quite a number of lists.  But you better believe that I'm listening now.

Another plus in her favor is a personal one.  I love podcasts, but I loathe long podcasts.  I've listened to podcasts that run close to 2 hours--that's way too long for me.  Like I said, this is my personal preference, not everyone's.  Her podcasts typically run from 30-60 minutes, which is a perfect length for me--when I have a limited amount of time devoted to podcasts, hers is one I listen to on a consistent basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment