Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Why I am a poor book reviewer

For the most part, if a book entertains me throughout its entire length, I give it five out of five stars.  Almost without question.

Not to be clique, but I am typically an out-of-the-box thinker.  When I read a book by a first-time novelist, I have a tendancy to be more leniant on the story.  If it's an author who's been around for decades, and he/she still entertains me, I cut them some slack on a poor novel and will probably give a three or four out of five.

There are a line of vampire romance stories that just irk the ever-loving crap out of me though.  I'll forgo mentioning the name (psst, they made movies out of them, and I think the final one comes out this year).  The first one was so poorly written and did NOT entertain me that I'd definitely give it a one out of five.

Where is all this going?

Well, last month, I started a Goodreads account and listed as many book as I can remember reading in the past few years.  Surprisingly, I gave most of them five out of five.

I just finished reading a fantasy novel by a new author.  He has a dynamite website and has blurbs on the cover by many of the big name fantasy authors today.  Sadly enough, I couldn't wrap my mind around it.  I would still give it a four out of five, just simply for the effort and the complexity of the story.  It's very possible that I have so much going on that I can't give it its true reading.  I brought it back to the library after only reading it through halfway.  Prior to this, I read a highly-rated book by a big name author.  I'll not embarass myself by naming this author because, once again, I did not like this book.  It started out with a bang, but then fizzled out.

At least in my mind.

A few years ago, I read Farewell to Arms by Hemingway.  I slogged my way through it, but I did not enjoy it.  I thought it was clunky and dull, the dialogue leaving me to wonder who in the hell named him a genius.  I vowed to never read Hemingway again.  Until last year when I read The Old Man and the Sea.  Now that book I liked!

My point being is that I look at books from a different angle than your average reader.  I also look at it from the entertainment lens.

If you can entertain me, and visually cast your world upon me through your words, I'll give you five out of five stars too.

No comments:

Post a Comment