Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I want to be the next Stephen King

Not really.

Although, at this point in my life, I'd certainly take his bank account.  But I wouldn't have earned it.  Therefore, it's not mine.  Not mine to take.  It's Stephen King's.  If he wants to give it to me, I wouldn't complain.

Once again, I wouldn't have earned it.

Go back almost forty years . . . it's the early 1970's.  Stephen King is barely scratching by on a meager teacher's salary.  What is a Stephen King back then?  He didn't want to be the next . . . Richard Matheson or Ray Bradbury or Shirley Jackson.  He wanted to be himself.

He's Stephen King.


And this is his house.


He earned it by being himself.

Others have also done it.  Neil Gaiman is Neil Gaiman, not some hacker-wannabe.  So is Dean Koontz and John Grisham and J. K. Rowling.  They are themselves because they don't want to be anyone else.

Who are you?

You are yourself.  Be yourself.  Earn it.

Then, you can live in one of these:


And drive one of these:


You can do it.  It takes time.  Be patient and learn to be yourself, not some wannabe.

No comments:

Post a Comment