Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Looking to the future

Last week I mentioned that I had previously read Tom Rath and Barry Conchie's book Strengths Based Leadership, and in using their online tool called Strengthsfinder I discovered what my top five strengths were--out of 34.

My top strength is futuristic, which, from anyone who knows me, this does not come as a shock.  It didn't shock me either.  I'm always dreaming towards the future, planning and envisioning the best way possible.

Knowing this as a strength of mine as allowed me to focus (another strength, but that's for another day) on what lies ahead instead of just looking to the present.  This has even allowed me to contemplate what pitfalls I may encounter, anticipating them, and then figuring out a way around them.

How have I used it lately?

For example, if you're readers of this blog, you know I'm in the final chapters of editing a thriller novel.  What do I have planned once it's done?  PLENTY!  There are projects that I've started putting together, waiting for the day when the thriller is done, and I can start on them.  I also ask myself what the next step is in the process of getting the thriller to publication.  I always seem to be a few steps ahead.

Does this sound like you?  If so, you may have a strength of futuristic.  If not, that's okay.  You have other strengths.  I encourage you to take the Strengthsfinder test and discover what you are good at, and pour much of your energy in those areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment