Friday, August 30, 2013

Happenings In The Outhouse 30-Aug-2013 / Last day of summer (for those with school kids)

I love the summer months, but as it gets closer and closer to the day after Labor Day--when school starts here in Minnesota--I'm loving the proverbial end of summer.

During the summer, the kids get to bed later, which means Dad--me, in other words--doesn't get to his writing until much later.  This wouldn't be a problem normally, but the city-run pool in our town closes at 8pm.  Which means the kids are usually swimming until the eight o'clock hour.  Then, it's a bit of unwinding before taking baths/showers and going to bed.

Many nights, it's after ten when this happens.

The upside to my morning routine is as such: the kids don't normally get up before eight--unless my son has football practice or weightlifting, which he does for most of the summer--so this means extra morning writing for me.

You need to find the time for writing wherever you can.  If you need to go to bed earlier and get up earlier, do it.  If you need to cut your night short a little, do it.  Be aware of your body telling you if you're overdoing it.  I used to be a nightowl.  Many nights I'd be up until 1 or 2 in the morning hunched over my computer.  Nowadays, I'm finding the morning to be a better fit for me.

If you need to make a change to your routine, do it.  How much time do you need for your writing?  That's up to you.  Even if 15-30 minutes is all you can spare out of your busy day, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish when you devote those precious minutes entirely to your writing.

What's cooking for me?

I finished a round of editing for inspirational novella titled (temporarily) Obituary of a Loser.  I am also working on editing my next short story submission to Writers Of The Future.  Things are going well, and sales for Beholder's Eye are trickling in--if you haven't picked up your copy on the Kindle, the link for it is along the side.  You can even borrow it if you're an Amazon Prime member.

I also have the first five chapters up for free on this site too--the link is next to the Amazon link.

No comments:

Post a Comment