Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Silence is golden

Ever since we got hooked up with high-speed Wifi at our house, I've listeneed to podcasts.  There was quite a number of them I listened to.

Then, this past summer, I decided to take a break.  Silence is golden, they say.  Yes it is.

I have a roughly twenty-minute commute to and from work each workday.  I used to spend that time filling my head with various podcasts.  What I did was educate myself not only on the publishing industry and genre writing, but also in financial and career matters.

I chopped the number of podcasts I listen to by quite a number--sometimes, in any given week, I don't listen to any on my daily commutes.  Instead of turning on the radio and listening to Stairway to Heaven for the nine-hundredth time, I brainstorm.

The time I've brainstormed has been valuable.

Recently, I was listening to Mur Lafferty's I should be writing podcast (yes, that one made the cut) and she also said the same thing, that she took a little break from podcast listening--and she's a successful award-winning author as well.  I'm in good company.

I do still listen to podcasts from time to time, but the majority of the time it's just me and my dreams.

Have you tried taking a podcast/radio break on your daily commutes?  Try it and let me know what you think.  Please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment