Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Goodbye Simon and Schuster (AKA my wife's response to my goofy fake phone call)

The other day, I was shopping with my wife and she had me call her cell phone--a common occurance since she has a tendency to "lose" her phone.  She thought she left it in the van, but when I dialed her purse started chiming her ringtone.

She picked it up and hung up.

"Hello," I said to nobody.  "Oh, Simon and Schuster is offering 15 million.  Not enough.  Bye."

I then said to my wife, "One day, baby, I'll get a phone call like that."

She then said something amazing.  "No, I think you'll do fine on your own.  You don't need them."

After picking my jaw up from the floor, we talked a bit more about my books, how they've been selling so far, and what I had in store on the horizon for 2014.

"Yup," she said.  "You'll do just fine without them."

If you look at the dedication page to all of my books (so far), I've put her name in them.  Because, quite frankly, she's been there for it all.  She's never told me to give up "the pipe dream" like so many others have.  She's always supported it.

The bottom line is, in today's market, you really don't need the big name publishers to become successful.  Follow the advice of those who have done it . . . and start.  If you want this bad enough, you'll find a way.

I have.

And I'd like you to join me.

The world needs us.

No comments:

Post a Comment