Monday, March 24, 2014

The two Cs

I'm in the middle of editing my next novel Shadowkill when I enhanced a scene where one of the main characters talks a member of the opposite sex in regards to an unfortunate incident that occurred with this person's lover.

At first, I didn't know what the unfortunate incident would be.  Then, after scratching the first two off my list, I settled on a murder.

But what were those first two?

They were the two Cs:

Cancer

Car accidents

I don't know how many times I run into unfortunate events where it involves either cancer or a car accident.  These seem to be so clique.  We, as writers, need to stretch our imaginations.  There are tons of other unfortunate incidents: heart attacks (although this one has been done many times too), suicide, shot, stabbed, AIDS, poison . . .

Don't stop with the obvious.  Do something different, in order to be memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment