Monday, May 5, 2014

How writing is like preparing for a marathon

"Write everyday, including weekends and holidays.."

"Get those 2000 words written."

Both of these bits of writing tips have always annoyed me.  I understand the meaning of getting the words out of my head and down onto the digital paper, but it can be overwhelming.

My sister-in-law is preparing to run a marathon--she's already run a few last year, and will continue to do so.  I recently read how one prepares to run a marathon.  There are some days you run, others you walk, others you do both, and then there are days you do nothing but rest.

The same goes with writing.  Everyone's writing process is different.  For me, I put in an hour or so in the morning, I write (or edit) on my breaks and lunches at work, and if I have time I do maybe another 30-45 minutes once the kiddies are in bed.

On the weekends, I sometimes sleep in and don't do any writing.  But just because I don't edit something or write the first draft of something doesn't mean I'm not writing.  Even if I'm thinking of a story, that's still writing--in my opinion, that is, and you may certainly disagree with me.

Write at your own pace.

And if you're editing, I believe that's still writing.

But don't forget to rest too.

No comments:

Post a Comment