Monday, August 11, 2014

The first step in overcoming obstacles

Let's admit, you know a thing or two about obstacles.

You have to work two or three jobs, just to make ends meet.  Your spouse is battling a debilitating illness, leaving you the primary caregiver.  You are a parent and work hard at trying to raise contributing members of society.  You keep getting asked to be in this committe or that committee.  At the end of each day, you're completely exhausted.  It's possible you are not well, physically, or the mental demons inside you are eating at you.  Your to-do list is longer than your arm . . . and you haven't the slightest clue how you're going to get out of it.

Any of these obstacles look familiar?  Yes, I'm sure you could add to it.  Want to overcome them?  Good.  To this: acknowledge them.

If you know what obstacles you have in your life, then you can go about tackling them.

I am a father of three (two of my children are type 1 diabetics) and my wife is still recovering from leukemia.  She is still in remission, but a lot of the household duties fall on my shoulders.  There are days I feel like completely giving up on writing (and everything else, for that matter), but I trudge onward.  Obstacles are tests of my endurance.

I acknowledge them.

And I work hard at overcoming them.

Are there days I don't feel like writing at all?  Sure.  You know what I do?  I write anyway.  Even if it's a little, I still accomplished something.

What obstacles are in your life?  How are you overcoming them?

No comments:

Post a Comment