Friday, August 26, 2016

The Third Group Of Writers' Advice / Happenings In The Outhouse 26-Aug-2016

A few weeks ago, I had a blog post regarding writing advice.  If you missed it, it's worth a read--or a re-read.

Once again, I always seem to find myself late to the party, but a few weekends ago I watched No Country For Old Men on Netflix.  It was a great movie, well put together, and watching it made me think of the author of the book Cormac McCarthy.  Another great movie/book by Cormac was The Road.

Looking at Cormac's publishing history--and many others authors--I saw a sporadic number of books.  In cases, it may be 5-10 years between books.  Yet, somehow these authors make a living writing full-time.  I don't hear much from these authors, however, when it comes to advice.  They mainly talk about their latest books and then . . . that's it.  If they do offer their advice, it may be skewed towards the traditional realm and will completely ignore indie publishing as a flash in the pan.

So, what is a budding writer to do?

Look at it from all angles.  But don't wait too long.  Sometimes you'll spend too much time researching something when you could've written some books, maybe indie published them, and learned more than you would by reading countless resource books on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment