Friday, March 31, 2017

Freedom - A Huge Plus As An Indie Author / Happenings In The Outhouse 31-Mar-2017

The other day, I contemplated how much freedom I had as an indie author.  I could write what I want, when I want.  Everything is self-imposed.  Deadlines are typically what I set for myself, to push myself along.

This can be scary for some, as they navigate the publishing waters.  There is more than enough information to make one's head spin over and over again like Regan from The Exorcist.

Last week, Dean Wesley Smith posted the following two articles, in regards to freedom--as you may note, I commented on the first one.  Now, I can't say that my comment led to his writing the second one, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The Normal Nature of Being Behind In This New World.

Freedom In This New Publishing World

As a side note, if you aren't reading Dean's blog--he blogs daily, and has been for one heck of a long time--you should.

This past weekend, I was messaging with another indie author who was asking for my advice.  She had a completed suspense romance book (cool, huh?) with a summer release, and she had information overload when it came to indie publishing.

I won't dispense what advise I gave her here, because it was a private conversation and the circumstances were largely based on one's personal situation.

My advise to all would be: read a lot, write a lot, publish a lot.  I may expand on these in the future, but this is the axiom that I live by.

The best writing advise--keeping it simple, in other words--can be summed up nicely in what is called Heinlein's rules of writingHere is another link of the same rules, summarized by another author.

Remember, through it all, as indie authors, we have freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment