Friday, June 2, 2017

Remember To Keep Learning / Happenings In The Outhouse 02-June-2017

Last week, I mentioned that our son graduated from high school.  I also mentioned that his choir teacher had gave him some valuable advice, in front of his classmates, their parents, and other members of our town.

"Remember to keep learning."

One should never stop learning.

Dean Wesley Smith, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and their team at WMG Publishing have created a very affordable set of courses for writers.  I'll tell you this right now, I will be starting my way through these courses.

Based on an article Dean did in April, I am also going to try my hand at learning how to do covers myself.

Back in my college years, while I was involved with the Tae Kwon Do school at both Bemidji and on campus, the late Grandmaster Spencer Brandt and his wife Cindy taught a weekend seminar to a small group of students who were interested in running their own school in the future.  I attended this seminar (there was less than 10 students present, if memory serves correctly) although I never did start a school.  One of the instructors was a tax accountant.  I learned more from him than most other "money" books I've read since.

My Mom, since I was a very young age, ran her own business: she was a daycare provider.  And a successful one to boot.  Anyway, around tax time, my parents always got hit with a massive tax bill.  They never talked about money much with me, but I knew this was a strain on their finances.  When I advised them what I had learned from the seminar, they couldn't believe it.

So, they called their accountant.

They discovered there were deductions they could've taken.  All they had to do was tell her (the accountant).

But how can one know what to ask if you didn't know it existed?

Needless to say, my parents got a new accountant, who taught them much more about taxes.  They were flabbergasted at the amount of deductions they could've taken, if only they were taught.

Remember: always keep learning.

It's the way I run my indie writing business: I keep learning.

Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment